A few weeks ago, one of my managers at my new job asked about my near-term career goals – what do I want to achieve next?
It was the first time I’ve ever found myself without an explicit answer to that question.
2016 was largely dedicated to the achievement of one specific goal: moving to Los Angeles. And I’m so happy to have been successful in that endeavor. Of course, reaching that singular goal required the jumping of numerous hurdles – finding an awesome job in L.A. while still living in the San Francisco Bay Area; vacating my Sunnyvale apartment before the expiration of my lease; finding and securing a new home in the competitive L.A. rental market; selling/donating/storing/moving my things down to L.A.
Having just completed this process in late October, I feel like I’m just now coming up for air (and still have a guest room filled with boxes in need of unpacking).
In many ways, 2017 is rolling out before me like an empty page. Being an extremely goal-oriented person, it’s tempting to come up with a few quick goals/resolutions for the new year, just to have them. Of course, there are the ever-present goals of traveling more, saving more, experiencing more and growing the blog. But when it comes to bigger, more complicated goals, I want to take the rare opportunity of this fairly fresh start to simply – yet mindfully – exist in my new reality for a minute, and see what comes up within me. I think there’s danger in constantly steamrolling forward without taking a moment to stop, look around, and re-evaluate the direction you’re heading in.
Without a doubt, come spring I’ll already be deep in my game plan toward my next series of goals. In the meantime, I’m going to vow to live, reflect, and give my inner voice the quiet it requires to be heard.
What are your goals/dreams/aspirations for the new year?
- Sweater: Ribbed Turtleneck, H&M, $15 at HM.com.
- Skirt: Silver Pleated Skirt, H&M, $25 for select sizes at HM.com. Similar styles are available here, here and here for $120 or less.
- Earrings: H&M. No longer available online, though similar styles can be found here and here for under $60.
- Boots: Circus by Sam Edelman. No longer available, though similar styles can be found here, here and here for under $100.
- Location: Miriello Grafico, 1660 Logan Ave, San Diego, CA 92113