For me, there’s no better way to welcome a brand new year than with a relaxing vacation. This is the third year in a row that MK and I have celebrated NYE with a little girl's’ trip -- this time to Ojai, California -- and it did not disappoint.
We’ve developed a tried and true formula for these trips:
- Head to a low-key town with beautiful hiking options, fun local shopping, and a few great restaurants
- Stay in a resort & spa in a central location to town
- Find a local spot to have a great dinner and ring in the new year with drinks and dancing. Preferably find one venue that offers both activities, and one that charges little to no cover
The Ojai Valley Inn & Spa is one of those fantastic resorts that are almost a town in and of themselves: sprawling, gorgeously manicured grounds; a number of on-site activities (golf, multiple pools, complimentary fitness classes, biking, spa services, etc.) and numerous restaurants.
We spent our days wandering the property, hiking trails with beautiful views of the valley (e.g., the Shelf Road Trail), and stumbling across incredible local gems like Bart’s Books. The outdoor bookstore has been around for 50 years! We also took time to a bit of leisurely reading throughout the trip, by the pool, beside outdoor fireplaces, and in the cozily appointed lobby.
While most of our time was spent in athletic attire, on the afternoon we decided to dress up, I took the opportunity to put on this amazing little dress I picked up in a vintage shop during my visit to Rome this fall.
I purchased it with summer in mind, but when paired with gray tights, a felt hat and suede fringed boots, it instantly feels fall/winter-appropriate.
- Dress, vintage.
- Hat, BP. for Nordstrom Metal Bead Wool Felt Panama Hat, $32 at Nordstrom.com.
- Boots, ZARA, now on sale for $70 at Zara.com.
The one caveat when it comes to traveling for New Year’s Eve is that some of the stores and restaurants you’ve come across during your pre-trip research may be closed over the holidays. But if you stay in a location with a ton of natural beauty and at a resort with numerous built-in activities, a vacation will provide a great way to ring in the new year. And it will give you something to look forward to on your next visit (I’m looking at you, Summer Camp and Modern Folk).
Hope you all had a wonderful holiday season!