People often talk about how casually people dress in L.A. And it’s true, there’s definitely a laid-back, slightly irreverent sense of style around here. But that isn’t to say that most people just throw on any old thing. That’s true for what they wear to the gym, too.
Angelenos may essentially be wearing yoga pants, sports bras and tank tops while working out, but these pieces often include little details that make them special. That make it seem more than reasonable to wear them to brunch at a cute outdoor restaurant following your pilates class (cue the “Activewear” video).
There is a lot of elevated workout wear out there (see Alo Yoga, Bandier), but I just can’t wrap my head around spending a ton of money on things I’m only going to sweat in. Here are my go-to destinations for affordable, fashionable workout wear.
The Sale Section at Spiritual Gangster
I love Spiritual Gangster’s whole laid-back, beachy, posi-vibes thing. I also love how consistently awesome their sale section is – both in the attractive selection and the price.
- SG Collegiate Floral Print Sweatshirt, on sale for $46
- Only Good Vibes Rocker Tank, on sale for $34
- SG Punk Logo Fleece Varsity Jacket, on sale for $49
H&M is an obvious choice for stylish fast fashion, but if your regular trips through the racks don’t include their fitness attire, you’re missing out. The fabrics might not be as breathable and high-tech as what you might find at the Nike store, but they look damn good and hold up to washing and working out surprisingly well.
- Short Yoga Top, $17.99
- Sleeveless Hooded Sweatshirt, $24.99
- 3/4-length Sports Tights in red, $34.99
- Sports tights in gray melange/white, $24.99
I’m consistently pleasantly surprised by the stylish, quality items available in the activewear section at Old Navy. I get some of the biggest compliments at the gym on pieces I’ve purchased from the store, thanks to the bold patterns and pretty colors they often feature. Old Navy is also regularly in the middle of a sitewide/storewide sale, so you can often get their already affordable items below retail price.
- Go-Dry Strappy Light Support Sports Bra for Women in Watermelon Palm Print, currently on sale for $16
- Go-Dry Mid-Rise Compression Mesh-Panel Crops for Women in Lost at Sea Navy, currently on sale for $28
- Loose-Fit Go-Dry Cool 2-in-1 Tank in Splashing Teal, currently on sale for $20
I’ve come across Boohoo apparel on numerous occasions while perusing the pages of ASOS.com, but I had no idea they made workout gear until I was researching this very post. I’m loving the flattering cuts, cute cutouts and creative prints.
- Lucy Fit Twist Back Vest 2 Pack, $28.00
- Caroline FIT Pixel Sports Jacket, $36.00
- Imogen FIT Pixel Mesh Sports Bra, $20.00
If you want big brand names at fast fashion prices, then the Rack is the shopping destination for you. And if sorting through actual clothing racks isn’t your thing, their online selection is seriously decent, too.
- Trina Turk Zigzag Straps Sports Bra, $37.97
- Nike Dry Training Tight, $29.97
- Nike Fleece Hoodie, $26.97
As if you needed another reason for Target to be a bottomless black hole for your money, the workout section at the bullseye is quite dangerous (in a good way).